Denis Chang Gypsy Jazz

Pizza! Cue in the music… Pizza!
I can’t give you anything but love/PIZZA!

Oh… sorry…
I was starting off to tell about the FANTASTIC musical performance by the Denis Chang Quartet and got swept up in his Pizza Theme! (No… the teachers are NOT going to have a Pizza Party afterwards.)  It was wonderful to have my class experience a professional music performance!

What a treat for the ears!  The music was so fast and energetic that it made you want to snap your fingers in time and then suddenly, it was slow and rhythmic in a way that it made you close your eyes in complete relaxation.  It was exciting to know that a special part of “jazz music” is that much of it is “improvised”… that means, some of the music is created right on the spot!  Each member of the quartet had his own special talent.  The youngest member, Connor, was only 18 and still in high school!  He played like a pro on two saxophones, a tenor sax and a soprano sax.  Another member played guitar and had a velvety singing voice, even when Denis told him he had to sing about “pizza”!  The stand-up bass player really delighted the audience with his oh-so-low notes.  Denis Chang was, of course, AMAZING with his lightning fast fingers on the guitar.  We also enjoyed hearing him sing in the traditional Romanian Gypsy language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aunf5FyPaLI
(This is not the performance/musicians we saw, but it does show Denis Chang and the same instruments.)

Our class was especially delighted to see THE MR. BEAR with his stuffed guitar, on the stage. (We had spotted him in some of the Youtube videos.)  Mrs. Boekhout brought Monty Moose “just in case” and before the concert started, Monty had a chance for a little chat and a photo with Mr. Bear.  Mr. Bear has been all over the world, just like Monty Moose, and the two of them have even been to some of the same places!

After an extremely wet walk to the Evergreen Center, we were treated to a short break in the rain as we returned to school.  This gave us time to check out the local ducks in Lafarge Lake. We saw at least THREE different species!  The Mallard males and females were the easiest to identify.

So, what started off to be a potentially dismal wet day turned out to be a lovely adventure!  As we walked along in that soggy-doggy weather, it brought to mind some OTHER musicians… of the “Kids’ Music” variety!

I’ve got new boots, my raincoat too. I’ve got my hat, and it’s bright blue!
I’m ready for, you’re ready for, we’re ready for… the puddles!
(Thanks, Charlotte Diamond!)

Ducks like rain, ducks like rain!
Ducks like to widdle waddle in the rain!
(Thanks, Raffi!)

Which instrument was your favorite?