Christmas Yule Logs

Once again my class has been lucky enough to participate in the Yule Log craft.   In old times, it was an English tradition to bring in a gigantic log to burn for all of the 12 days of Christmas.  Kindling from this Yule Log was kept to light the fire of the next year’s log.  Our creations recreate the magic of a wondrous sparkly log hidden out in the forest.

My best friend, who was born in England, shared this tradition with me when my son was little. Many students have come back to tell me that they still have their original log, or have “recreated” their log, from their Grade 2 Christmas craft! Fifteen years ago (amazing!) I was lucky enough to have the Nussle family join my Grade 2 class.  It is hard to believe, but my dear “Christmas Lumberjack”, Mr. Nussle, has been supplying the logs every year since then!  Both his daughters are quite grown up!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create a slideshow

I hope you all enjoy the magic behind the lovely Yule Logs your children have created for you.

A very Merry Christmas to you all!

Where did you put YOUR Yule Log in your home?

One thought on “Christmas Yule Logs

1. Thank you, Mrs. Boekhout, for making the month of December so much fun. Carly made her yule log at home. It’s going to be a holiday treasure which we will enjoy for many years to come. The yule log has a permanent home in our cabinet so we can see its beauty all year long!

I hope you, and all of Carly’s classmates, had a fun-filled, magical holiday!